Friday, September 12, 2008

Refreshing Gooseberry Squash

Gooseberries have high nutritional value and medicinal value. They are instant energy boosters. They contain vitamins A and C and potassium, and are a good source of fibre. I remember when I was young we had a gooseberry tree at my grandfather's house. And every year whenever I visited him, I and my brother used to just pluck the small goosberries (arai nellikkai) from the trees and eat it raw. Arai Nellikkai tastes sweeter then the big ones.


I am posting a Recipe of Gooseberry Juice which I used to prepare and keep it in my fridge during the very hot summer season. Whenever we come back to our house from a very hot summer afternoon we all used to have 1 cup of this juice and it gives instant energy.



Refreshing Gooseberry Squash

Ingredients

Big Gooseberries - 5-6
Sugar - 1/2 kg
Water - 1 1/2 cup
Preservative K.M.S - 1/8 tsp


Method :

Select big juicy Gooseberries. Wash them, peel the skin and cut it into pieces. Blend it in a liquidiser using little water. And strain it using very thin strainer.

In the meantime you can make the sugar syrup.Bring sugar and water to boil. Simmer to make a sticky syrup, which is not one thread. Remove from fire and let it cool down.

After the sugar syrup cools down strain it. Add juice and stir till well blended. Add dissolved KMS .

Pour into sterilised bottles, seal. Refrigerate opened bottle.

When required:
Mix 1/4th cup of squash and 3/4th cup of water. Add icecubes. Stir and serve chilled.

For Diabetic Patients : Take the juice fresh without adding sugar. Add little salt.
Submitting this to AFAM - A Fruit A Month was intiated by Maheswari , event hosted by Illatharasi


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lakshmi, Welcome to the blogging world:)

    Sure I can help you, feel free to ask me any kind of questions;)

    First time hearing about squash... no worries about the picture, I was thinking to try it and take a picture, but not sure if I can get KMS in Singapore, if not I will try without it!

    I guess it would be too refreshing.....:) Even we used to enjoy arai nellikai at my granny's place. She had a big tree and me, my bros, my cousins... everybody used to sit on the tree... plucking all nellikai's... u reminded me of those days:)

    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your valuable time to go through my blog.
Your comments, feedback, suggestions are most valuable to me. It keeps me going.
If you have any queries please leave it here. I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

Sheermal

Sheermal or Shirmal is a saffron-flavored slightly sweet traditional leavened flatbread that is found in various countries on the Asian sub...